This is a Competition Special ACOGBLOG
Call of Duty : GHOSTS
There’s no doubt that these two games are the behemoths of the gaming FPS fraternity, and will be the stable gaming diet for ACOG members. Your opportunity to win a copy of each is coming right here. Read the following description from JC as to the format and digest the enormity of the prizes on offer.
Here is your big chance to win yourself a copy of two of what will be the biggest games on release day, for your shiny new Next-Gen console…..
Call of Duty: Ghosts and Battlefield 4.
This would save you a whopping £110 on games you were probably going to buy anyway, but you’re going to have to earn it.
This is a competition where Google is not only your friend…. But your enemy too! Your mission, should you choose to accept, is to find as near to a Googlewhack as you can before 14/10/13 when the competition will close. “WTF’s a Googlewhack” you may ask………
The definition according to Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Googlewhack is
“A Googlewhack is a type of contest for finding a Google search query consisting of exactly two words without quotation marks, that returns exactly one hit. A Googlewhack must consist of two actual words found in a dictionary. A Googlewhack is considered legitimate if both of the searched-for words appear in the result page”
Here are some example of previous Googlewhacks (though once registered they no longer are as Google will find the registration page):
– ovulating kleptomaniac
– inculcating skullduggery
– silverfish showstopper
– rigamarole hullaballoo
– formaldehyde explicator
– blithering clops
– obsequious plumeria
– pseudonymous cockatiel
– necrophiliac cockatiel
– cockatiel colonoscopy
But finding a true Googlewhack is hard, real hard! Therefore the winner of this competition will be the one to find the nearest to a true Googlewhack as possible. The nearest will be the one with the least number of results returned.
This website http://www.googlewhack.com/ has more useful information on Googlewhacks. This site used to allow for checking and registration of Googlewhacks, but unfortunately this feature is no longer available. Therefore entries will be considered according to the rules below.
Rules For This Competition
- You must search using an un-refined search with www.Google.co.uk
- Your Googlewhack must consist of exactly two words only, and must be submitted without quotation marks
- Your search result page must include both words, though they can appear in any order, and not necessarily next to each other
- Each of your two words must be a valid word which can be found in the online Oxford Dictionaryhttp://oxforddictionaries.com/ under the category of “British and World English”
- The modification of words into plurals to reduce result hits is not allowed (eg. “Episcopalian Gamelan” produces lots of results, whereas “episcopalian gamelans” does not)
- In order to prove your Googlewhack you should submit a screen capture via e-mail to : email@example.com Your image should show the URL (Google website address) both the search terms, and the results. Photoshopping is not allowed and will result in your disqualification for the remainder of the competition.
- Entries will be considered in the order they are received via e-mail
- This competition runs from 01’st August and is open to all ACOG members, including admin (with the exception of JC) who joined before 31’st July 2013.
- The competition ends midnight on 14th October 2013. Entries received after this date (according to the email receive date), will not count
- In the event of a tiebreaker, words used which have some relevance to ACOG or gaming will taken in preference to words which do not
- JC’s decision is final, and includes the option of splitting the one prize between two winners (one game each)
- In the event that nobody finds any valid Googlewhacks, JC wins the prize ………. (Read the small print)
- The previous rule does not apply
- The winner(s) will be announced within one week of the competition end date
- The winner(s) may choose to receives games for their current console if they have no intention of getting a Next-Gen console
This prize was funded from voluntary donations by ACOG members for the running of the site –Thanks Guys!.
Good luck, and good hunting!
So you see, this one isn’t a steal, you’ve got to work for the booty….. Join in to NOT miss out on this one !